Friday, July 29, 2011

bahumbug.

Soon I shall be once again engaging in this endless drudgery we call education. bah! Sometimes I think schooling is such a joke. I mean, in America, we work 8 years, to go to a school for 4 years for a piece of paper, that will enable us to endure another 4 years to get a slightly more significant piece of paper that will hopefully get you a job, and if not.... your piece of paper can get you into another program to earn more pieces of paper that will validate you but in the end really mean nothing.
everyone goes to school. everyone gets degrees.*

*everyone meaning a large percentage of the population but not all.

what about the days of hands on experience? of traveling? or learning by doing? of being in a situation that no one has ever prepared you for, and you must find your intelligence and deal with it in the best way you know how? where it is not written in books and crammed into your average cranium?


I would have excelled in that area, that is how I was raised.

I also excel in the modern area... but that is beside the point.

also, I have an announcement. Ahem. I am declaring 3 majors.
that is correct, you read me right. three. I'm already in bioscience: genomics and bioinformatics. I plan on adding some forensics, and perhaps a writing degree with a focus track on family history. isn't that AMAZING?

you probably all think I'm crazy, or compulsive, or whatever other degrading adjective you can come up with~ but I assure you, it has been well thought out.

the main degree component of forensics does not vary too seemingly from my bioscience. when I look over the classes needed to complete the forensics degree, I actually get excited~ science behind the crime scene??? who doesn't want to do that?
Additionally, I have always wanted to be a writer, but I have also always wanted to be able to pay the bills. Here is the thing, I have a minor in history, I've incorporated that minor into my honors thesis, a book about my family history with a bit of humor and personal flair thrown into the mix. If I did a family history writing track does that not seem fitting? I could probably also make my honors project serve dual purposes and also make it my writing capstone.
and finally, I would be happy. I would be completely happy with my choices. I love learning, I've always been a do-everything-because-I-want-to-commit-academic-suicide type of gal. I would have the best of both worlds, science and writing~ like I always wanted.

still think I'm crazy without an ounce of logic? you would be surprised.


ps. sorry about the haphazard posting on my blogs, or lack of posting. that is what being in a relationship is like. Quinn is the best man I have ever dated~ I shall refrain from excessive mushy commentary. Just know that he is awesome, and that I respect him.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Kylie. I want to reward you with five minutes of uninterrupted eye contact.

    No, really. That's so cool. I wish I could survive something like that. <3

    ReplyDelete